Monday, November 26, 2012

November 25, 2012



It's Monday and while I finished this puzzle fairly early yesterday I got caught up with other matters and didn't have time to write about it, which really is OK because honestly, I don't have much to say about it.

Frank Longo's puzzles are often witty with lots of puns and sometimes there are riddles to be solved, but this one revolved entirely around the theme which was PROCESSEDCHEESE.  I like cheese as much as the next guy but making a list of them (AMERICAN/ROMANO/SWISS/JACK/MUNSTER/BRIE/COLBY) just didn't strike me as a lot of fun.

In fairness to Mr. Longo, the types of cheese appeared in longer phrases but all of the clues were straight-forward ("MasterCard alternative" for  AMERICANEXPRESS, e.g.) so not much imagination was needed to produce the theme answers (unless you have never heard of CORKYROMANO, as I had not). The reveal clue at 114a, "Entered seven answers in this puzzle?" for PROCESSEDCHEESE was classic Longo wit and I would have liked to see more of the same in the other theme clues.

Come to think of it, having BALONEY sitting in the middle of all that cheese was a pretty nice twist, too.

I now see that I finished with an error, the cross of 79d (Hollywood's Rowlands) with 99a (___ Green (old elopers' destination). I ended both words with an "e" where an "A" would have produced the correct answers. If GRETNA Green is an old elopers' destination, where do you suppose the young ones go?

I'll be back next Sunday - until then, here's Jimmy Buffett to tell you about the best way to put processed cheese to use: 

No comments:

Post a Comment